A12 - time to get busy

I only had time to get the alternator about half apart - I think it's going to turn out to be junk. I could only turn the rotor about 1/8 of a turn. OTOH it was also full of trash that I shook out of it. I'll get it fully split apart tomorrow and will know more.

I found a 69 date stamp so chances are good it's the original part from the car. I don't know how to read the month on it. Doesn't really matter though, other than I'm trying to keep all the parts car parts that I can. Call me weird.
 
Too bad you couldn't hollow out the round back alt case and stuff the guts from a late model Nippon-Denso style alt inside it. :unsure:




...and you're weird. 🤣
 
The alternator is pretty much shot but I think it's rebuildable. The rotor won't even turn with the case split. I tried knocking it out (after releasing the bearing retainer) but no luck, and I couldn't find anything to rig it up in the press either. But that bearing is at least worn out, at worst locked up with damage to the rotor.

I kind of hesitate to go further with it out of worry that I will screw up the soldering or that I'll end up with $50-60 in a rebuild kit but the dumb thing still won't work. Maybe both!

I think before I make a decision I'll drive out to the parts store to see if they've actually got a single-field round back on the shelf or if they're all square backs with some kind of grounding adapter on the ground field. If they've got something I can deal with I may go ahead and fork over the $$ to get one while the getting is good.

$40 core - makes me consider giving the old one up as a trade in. Maybe I could get $50 for it to someone needing a date code, probably not. They made a million of them and they're all the same other than that tiny little date stamp.

20261006_175009.jpg20261006_175501.jpg20261007_174243.jpg20261006_175105.jpg
 
I've fixed many of those with all different maladies. It takes a special tool to remove the pulley and the outer bearing. It's in my garage. :giggle:
 
I've fixed many of those with all different maladies. It takes a special tool to remove the pulley and the outer bearing. It's in my garage. :giggle:
I've got the pulley puller and it's all apart. I haven't done it yet but I've seen that small bearing puller is what you need to pull the bearing.
1791545888088.png

It takes a while to get there but eventually he does
 

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back
Top