A12 - time to get busy

An easy old school trick to get brighter lights without switching to LED's is to paint the inside of those open bulb light fixtures with gloss bright white paint. It's more light reflective than the silver that's usually painted in them at the factory.
Too late now! :D

Actually they're still on the bench so I could still spray them, but I might not. You see, I'm lazy.

FWIW the socket is easy to mask, a lid off a cheap bottle of water pretty much snaps right over it.
 
It seemed counter-intuitive to me when I first heard about that trick. I tested it out on my '68 Power Wagon tail lights, painting one bright white inside, and painting the other bright silver. I made sure both sockets and grounds were cleaned of any corrosion, lenses were cleaned up and then installed new bulbs from a twin pack. When I lit them up at night, the difference was pretty clear. Silver has some black in the tint, and I believe that is why the silver wasn't as bright as the white.
 
I gave in to peer pressure and went ahead and painted the reflector area white before finishing them up and installing them.

Prepping the battery box/supports for paint and thinking about pulling the timing cover off the engine to see if the chain is worn out or not. Next steps will follow that. I really need to check the bearings while it's out. Maybe?

I can roll the engine over (on a stand) with the lifters in so long as the whole valve train is in, right? I don't want to mess with that unless I absolutely have to. Obv you can't roll it over if the rockers or push rods are removed

No noise, good OP, no smoke before I took it apart.
 
I had some kind of tapping/knocking on mine , sounded like pass side of motor but it went away as soon as the oil got it soaked, took a chance & just cleaned everything up, I did remove adjustable rockers & put on stock ones with new push rods.
To my pleasent surprise 12 years later on it's first startup NO noise, sometimes you get lucky, couple of hundred miles later she still runs without any tapping!
 

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back
Top