69 Barracuda FB. The next evolution

The driver side bent flange pieces are now welded together and attached to the car. After I'm done with the fuel lines, pump and filters, the floor will be drilled and spot welded to the top of those horizontal sections of those flanges.

Walking around the car, I hit the surface rust around the trunk opening and the rear valance area with some rust reformer. Those areas will get sanded back later when I'm ready to smooth out the drain channels.

Over the driver door drip rail area, I chipped out the last of the old cracked sealant down to the rusty metal below. The rust on this side was way worse than the other side. Even after using a wire wheel and a RO sander, there was still lots of rust remnants in the bottom of the entire length of the top channel. So once again, it got hit with rust reformer to kill the rust.

And a side note, I really need to watch where I put my hands when welding. I dropped the MIG torch while under the car, and without thinking I reached over my shoulder to pick it up. Instead of getting the handle, the still hot wire got pinched in the inside of one of my knuckles. Second degree burns suck...
 

Attachments

  • 20261005_161204.jpg
    20261005_161204.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20261005_164931.jpg
    20261005_164931.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20261005_165139.jpg
    20261005_165139.jpg
    962.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20261005_165226.jpg
    20261005_165226.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20261005_173114.jpg
    20261005_173114.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
That floor area in the last pic doesn't look too healthy!
It's tons more solid now than how it was when I got it. Still have a ways to go before I'll be happy with it though.

I went back out for a bit and got the pass side flange fully welded in.

Next up will be welding in the flange along the back of the floor edge. I need to lift the sides of the body a bit, pass side more than the driver side, before I can align that rear flange for welding.
 

Attachments

  • 20261005_202446.jpg
    20261005_202446.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Today I ordered more fuel system parts and some materials to mount them to the car. Not much else going on at the moment.

EDIT: I forgot to add pic of the parts that arrived today. Here it is.
 

Attachments

  • 20261006_215217.jpg
    20261006_215217.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Santa arrived a few months early, driving a big yellow Central Freight truck instead of his usual sleigh. Probably because the package wouldn't fit down the chimney.
 

Attachments

  • 20261007_130854.jpg
    20261007_130854.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20261007_131812.jpg
    20261007_131812.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
I'm going to set the car on it's wheels and then cut a bunch of holes in the old floor pans to pass some straps through. The straps will hold up the subframe connectors so I can weld solid them at each end. After that, I'll cut the floor halves out, one side at a time and clean up the flanges and edges. I'm going to spot weld the flanges and tack the edges as much as possible while it's on the floor.
 
Tonight I started making some brackets for the fuel pump and fuel filters out of some 1/8" x 1.25" angle. These pieces will be welded to the front side of the forward fuel tank crossmember. I notched out one side of the top 3" of each piece so each piece will have a some stability front to back. Then I set the fuel pump mount on the angles to get the spacing for the mounting holes. I used a nutsert tool to install 1/4" nutserts in the holes. A couple of the upper ones were left out so they can be installed after the angle brackets are welded to the crossmember. The inserts need to pass through both the bracket and the crossmember at the same time on those top two holes.

I still need to make one more bracket for two 6AN bulkhead pass through. That bracket will run along the gap on the pass side between the tank and the frame rail.
 

Attachments

  • 20261007_200648.jpg
    20261007_200648.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 20261007_200654.jpg
    20261007_200654.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20261007_200822.jpg
    20261007_200822.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20261007_203718.jpg
    20261007_203718.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20261007_203734.jpg
    20261007_203734.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back
Top