Well I have been working on getting all my ducks in a row, and starting the permit process....still have frost in the ground, and weight restrictions on the roads so be another month or so before those are lifted. Anyway been talking with the planning dept, and inspectors trying to find out what's allowed, what's not, and all the other things that are required to build.
Bunch of the answers to my questions has caused me to have to re-think some of my previous ideas.
I was hoping to be able to build a pole barn type shop, but they have removed that style of shop/garage from their approved list....so I have to build a frost/foundation wall that is at least 54"...as well as I have to have special engineered drawings and structure if I build a shop with stud walls taller then 12'...if I do build taller then 12' then large stud walls and additional supports in the trusses are required as well. So with all this it has dictated I build the shop closer to the house, since with the rules for the foundation I would have to build a driveway, level and grade the area and bring in material for the foundation wall to be built upon, additional drainage and culverts might be required as well.....since very little of our acreage is flat.
So might be looking at a 32x48, or a 40x48 size shop now.
For The radiant floor heating is no problem, just have have vapor barrier, then a minimum R12.5 rigid insulation, then tubing, then the concrete, and then have to apply for a outdoor boiler permit when I get to that point. Also have to have an engineered drawing with pad/location, and below ground structure, for the hoist as well. I asked about a wood burning stove to heat the shop....huge requirements for that....has to be raised off the ground to protect from tipped chemicals and allow proper airflow, also have protective posts so you can't accidentally drive into it etc. So guess overhead natural gas for now, or perhaps a propane fired heater until I get the boiler....will have to see what the cost comparison is, might be a boiler is cheaper in the long run?
So that is where I am at now.....still jumping through the hoops.