Looking for garage/shop info....

Well after much pondering and consideration I plan on doing the shop properly with a frost wall foundation. I may not be installing the heated floors though, since again it turns out it has to be engineered and a contractor has to install it, which equals 10x's the cost of what I could do it for myself. :( I will be installing a free standing wood burner stove for heating, and will insulate the heck out of the shop, code only calls for R5 for the walls and R30 for the ceiling, so will probably go with R30 for the walls and probably R48 for the ceiling. The added cost to upgrade the insulation is minimal, but has big returns on heating.

But on a positive note I listened to 69's advice and have been watching for used garage doors. I had a local company price out two 12x12 insulated overhead doors and installed and taxes would be over $8K!! Well I found a local demolition company that recently removed a bunch of insulated (with windows) overhead doors from a demo site, so I picked up a 16x12 for the front of the shop, and a 11x12 for the rear...all tracks and hardware for $1200!! I could have gotten the big power assist assemblies, but they were 3hp, 3phase and 240volt units, and I had already decided I will be installing manual chain hoists for the doors. The chain hoists are about $160 each brand new. So should be into both door with some seals and misc hardware for about $2000.....pretty happy about that.
 
While I was planning out mine I stopped at a local "resale" store and got 3 Chamberlan garage door openers with all hardware for $45. No remotes but with some internet research and ebay shopping, remotes were found for under $30. As you've found a lot can be saved by shopping used items
 
nice score cow!

indeed if your close to a re-store or salvage type resale you can save massively......i was going to do a built in to re-do our front closet ..found something for 20$ at re-store that was within 2inches of spec and solid oak...cheepass materials would have cost me 40 minimum
 
nice score cow!

indeed if your close to a re-store or salvage type resale you can save massively......i was going to do a built in to re-do our front closet ..found something for 20$ at re-store that was within 2inches of spec and solid oak...cheepass materials would have cost me 40 minimum

Nice find on teh solid oak closet assembly. Yeah I hit the local used clothing/misc house ware shop all the time, I buy shoes, clothing all the time for pennies compared to brand new. I'm actually surprised they have stuff in my size....size 14 shoes, and 2 and 3 XL shirts, jackets etc. Unfortunately we don't have any commercial or home, used material sites up here.
 
yeah your a bit too far north i suspect...i know re-store was even up in victoria as well....but i doubt it would be worth the drive to vancouver for you to just "look"....but everything from pot lights to fuse panels windfows doors outlets wiring....leftovers to scratch n dent to remodels..deffinatly saves a fortune quickly
 
yeah your a bit too far north i suspect...i know re-store was even up in victoria as well....but i doubt it would be worth the drive to vancouver for you to just "look"....but everything from pot lights to fuse panels windfows doors outlets wiring....leftovers to scratch n dent to remodels..definitely saves a fortune quickly

I agree on the savings....there were certain companies that did the same thing back near my old place, and I scored many a sweet deal on parts for renos and other construction projects. I have to stick to craigslist and Kijiji and try and find what I need through those sites. But I have been surprised at what's also available at the Richie Bros auctions....lots of tools, home and business parts and materials, so I have been watching those auctions within a 7 hour drive (one way) of place. ;)
 

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back
Top