Rusty's not very quiet cuda progress

ME too.
I hope I get lucky with mine tomorrow, I can ask what it was actually for when I pick it up & I'll post pics for you.

I went back to an 87 which was the first year Advance listed the the Dakota and nothing in stock, so it's a different part from the 99 that I bought.

Maybe this is some kind of standard plug and we're overthinking this. But probably not.

I'm wondering what it looks like under the plastic?
One of the cable picks I saw had the rIng terminal bolted to a piece of metal, but the pic was not very clear to see if it was a round spade?

New starter ordered, should be in tomorrow, will check it against the old before I leave the store.

Not much done, rainy day, did get the battery hold down done, the thicker rod did fit on the other side, so at least they are the same. Still need to connect to the inner fender. 20240328_150517.jpg
Good thing I left the pos. off, I left the key in over-night!

Got the 4way painted up, looks a tad better!20240328_163954.jpgAt least nothing went wrong today!

Classic air got back to me, seems the compressor & its brackets were missing, I asked about instructions & got no answer on that, never did this before, I think I'll be calling the tech line a lot!
Gonna peruse their website & see what they have on line?

A 1992 D-series starter has the stud mounts. I just called and had the guy pull it off the shelf to be sure.
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

It also has the bulky gray rubber that's going to get burned. Paper burns at 452* F, rubber has to melt before that and burn after it, right?

If it's in my way, I'll snip it off. Starters have survived for 100s of thousands of miles without that.

Last edited:
K, this one was from a 1992dodge/Ram D250 3/4 ton with rear wheel drive.

Looks good, will try in the next couple of days, it is smaller & that rubber cover seems to be inset more that the gray one, which will at least get it off the header, how far I 'm not sure? 20240329_142156.jpg
20240329_142213.jpg

See if either of us had good luck?

Unless something changes I'll know in a couple of hours.

The rubber cover looks thinner on this new one of mine also. I think it's still going to be so close it'll be destroyed by the heat one way or the other.

You think it's enough power to arc to the header once the rubber burns off

Not if it doesn't touch, and they shouldn't be moving in relation to each other. Heat soak might kill the starter sooner than it should though. If that's a worry then you can buy a heat shield wrap to protect it.

Don't think so for the driving I will do, mostly just cursing around, with the occasional irresistible mashing when no one's around!

The mini starter came into being in 1988 on the 3.9L V6, well pre-Magnum and was revised several times between then and 2003. Later starters are a tick more powerful (2.9HP v. 2.7HP as I recall), but since you're not starting a high-compression race engine, it really doesn't make any difference. Starting in 1999, the wiring connection changed on the trigger wire from a stud-mounted cable lug to a plug-in terminal. In other words, you missed by one year. 😖

The Genco (BBB) part number for the one I've always used is 17466, which is listed for everything with a V6 or V8 from 1991-'95. If your local dum-dums can't cross the number, just tell 'em it's a '95 Ram/B-van/Dakota with a 5.2L. That being said, if you really feel you need the extra power for some reason (you don't), use the same application between 1996-'98 (Genco/BBB #17573). The 17466 should be noticeably less expensive than the 17573, though.

You may find that the terminals on the mini-starter are spaced a bit further apart than those on the OE starter, but this shouldn't be a problem for you since it's already had one in place.

If I had to guess, I'd say your armature corroded itself fast (solid) after sitting for a decade and a half, hence the huge amp draw/voltage drop and no crank.

For clarification:
The "classic" Chrysler starter used on everything muscle-era except 1966-'69 4-speed Hemi cars had 1.5HP. During the emissions era, Chrysler introduced a 1.7HP version of the same unit, primarily because of the air pump on emissions-era V8s. That starter uses a longer field coil (and is a nightmare with headers). By comparison, the "weak sister" of the Nintendo (Nippondenso) mini-starters is the 1988-1990 unit with 2.5HP. That means even the "worst" of the bunch still has a full extra HP--67% more cranking power--than the OE starter that worked just fine on high-compression Hemi and Six Pack engines.

Never mind... for some reason a bunch of posts didn't show up and I thought you were still on the hunt. Looks like you've got it sorted.

For the record, even with 1/4" larger primary tubes my headers aren't anywhere near as close to the starter as Bob's, so that might just be a Doug's thing.

I hope to find out tomorrow, I wish I put the car higher, I can't even reach over my body to grab a tool, I'll fight it like that & if it gets crazy I'll raise the car more.

I hope to find out tomorrow, I wish I put the car higher, I can't even reach over my body to grab a tool, I'll fight it like that & if it gets crazy I'll raise the car more.
If you find yourself with it not wanting to cooperate, don't forget to consider turning the wheels one way or the other to get the suspension out of the way. Sometimes that helps.

That was fun!
went to put the wires on the starter & had to drill out the smaller wire ring, somehow managed to worm it back in there. Sooooooooooo I go in & hit the key, NOTHING!
Put on the starter button & at least that worked, so I pulled the front plug & brought it up to compression, the balance was a tad off zero & got lucky a quick bump & it's real close does it have to be exact? 20240331_134549.jpg
So I checked the oil pump shaft, that is pointing about between the back two plugs on the drivers side.
I assume that will point the distributor the same way.
Do I dare pull it up & try to spin it.
In one of the pics you can see the silver bellhousing to get an idea of where it is.20240331_134807.jpg20240331_134911.jpg
Smaller starter didn't really help with the clearence, there's a hair of daylight on the new skinnier black rubber20240331_133819.jpgPretty tight up top too20240331_133709.jpg

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back