Early wake-up "call"

Dr.Jass

Pastor of Muppets
No alarm clock needed this AM. The pounding on my front door and male-voiced screams of "HELP! SOMEBODY HELP ME!" pretty-much did the trick. The voice seemed oddly familiar, and when I cleared the grogginess I realized it was Boozefighter Jr. He'd left my porch at that point and was just running around in circles in the neighborhood screaming his head off. I yelled to him asking what the problem was, and he said his house was on fire and asked me to summon help.

Being a good neighbor, I immediately wrote a frantic letter to 9-1-1 explaining the situation.

The local fireboys have been out there for about an hour now turning the street into a skating rink. Smoke's still pouring from the attic. The fire no doubt involves the squirrels living up there about which he's done nothing for the past several years.

I truly hate it for him, to be honest. That house is all he's got and it ain't much. Now it's even less, and likely uninhabitable (although I'm sure he'll make every effort to continue living there). I know he doesn't have insurance, either.

We used to live on a road where cars would regularly drive off into the creek then come bang on our door for help. I remember one night there was a car upside down in a feeder that was next to my yard, and nobody wanted to look inside to see if there was anyone in there. Another time a guy went off the road, flew into a tree, and popped the trunk open, ejecting his tool box over about a couple hundred foot area. One neighbor went over and gathered the tools up and refused to give them back when the guy came back looking for them.

It always seemed to happen in the middle of the night.

A house fire is a terrible thing. Bummer for your neighbor.

When Mrs. Resto and I were first married, we were apartment dwellers in the south end of town.
Jarred awake right around midnight by the same banging on the door, two days after Christmas.
Building Super, in his underroos, telling people "Fire!, Get out, now!"
Junkie in a basement apartment fell asleep with his K-D on the stove. Mainly smoke damage, but his kitchen was destroyed. We were on the top floor, so only a slight smoke smell for us.
Super told me next morning, that as far as he could determine, only he, us and the stripper on the first floor had insurance.

The junkie had to move, of course, I'm sure he was the guy responsible for the numerous car break-ins and mail-box thefts in the year and a half we lived there.

I never quite understood the no-insurance thing...

isnt there a rule here about pics? or is there nothing worth shooting?
ive delt with the "repair" side of fires several times while forceably in the buisness under my father..the worst being an apartment fire that basicly gutted the entire top floor "removing" 1 full unit and half of the next, but the entire 8 units on the top floor were alll damage to some extent as well as the 3 below the primary unit
i tell ya what..working with that shit the smell lingers...for years....i eventualy tossed everything i was wearing while working it as the smell wouldnt wash out

Was talking with a friend last year about house fires and out where he lives outside of town there are several properties now sitting abbandonded with burned homes on them because the owners had fire places installed that were not inspected or approved for home use...which then voids any insurance that you might have had.

No pictures because the only external sign of the fire is smoke damage around the roof vents. Still, that fire burned for over an hour. There's significant damage in that attic guaranteed; the house is close to 100 years old.

A few things worth mentioning/repeating here:
  • It was the Boozefighters' house. The 1st generation is dead, Jr. started squatting there when his mom died.
  • The elder, now-deceased Boozefighter siblings bought it in 2004 for cash. The house was uninsurable at that time (they were refused). Water literally ran down both sides of one interior wall in heavy rain. It should've been condemned 18 years ago (or more; a friend of mine rented it for some time and said so shortly after moving in).
  • Jr. is not a kid. He's 55 or 56 years old. In all those years, he has acquired nothing. He's never owned a home (even now--keep reading), made a car payment, or had a nickel in the bank.
  • Jr.'s mother repeatedly complained to him a few years ago about intermittent electrical issues. He went up in the attic, looked at the terrifying wiring, and said "Fuck that noise. I ain't touching that shit."
  • For the last two years of her life, Motherfighter also asked him many times to do something about the squirrels in the attic. @Stretch & I have watched them on many occasions coming and going from the eave. His solution? Great Stuff, which worked for less than two days. I suggested hardware cloth and even offered my power stapler and an extension cord with which to install it. "Nah, it's fine. I don't like ladders."
  • Squirrels and sketchy electrical are not a good combination.
  • It was the Boozefighters' house. He literally saved the pajamas and sweatshirt he was wearing, and an open 12-pack of Bud Light. I shit you not, he went back in after I told him help was on the way; that's all he grabbed (although I saw a laundry basket which may have been his, but it might've been his son's) . He was walking around with the twelver while the firefighters were doing their thing. He asked me for a cigarette. I gave him a whole pack and a lighter. I have little doubt he cracked a beer shortly thereafter.
  • Both myself and the neighbors on the other side have been predicting exactly this for years, although we figured Boots-fighter (Uncle Bruce) would've somehow torched the place.
So, while I do hate it for Jr. out of basic human compassion, all the warning signs were there. He chose to spend what little money he made/had on beer and weed rather than address known issues. It could've been avoided but he ignored it because the house wasn't burning down. Now it (sorta) has, and frankly, it's kind of amazing it took this long to happen.

sad yet well earned?...maybe the lands worth something to put a new house on if sold?

i have personaly re-wired every inch of this house off the old cloth stuff save for 1 single run in 1 room that is both sound and...impossible to get at and runs exactly 1 light in the closet which hasnt been used since we moved in and an outlet on the same wall that..again has never been used

as for the fireplace thing cow..it happens out here too useualy with wood stoves, and apperantly if they are not replaced as code changes they can actualy just suddenly void insurance...so the wood stove thats been in a 100 year old home and "was" code when it went in and for decades after, may have fallen "outside of current code" and thus your SOL if its the cause of the fire

I was outside the other morning and the backyard neighbor's chimney was making a weird crackling sound. There was a trace of smoke and heat waves so they had a fire going. I guessed it was water inside the liner that was boiling out and wished the best for them.

Another guy nearby had the squirrels in the attic thing going on. I was told that he paid a guy $1 a squirrel for as many as he could kill. I figure he would've paid 2x the cost of fixing the house and not made a dent in the squirrel population but there's no accounting for stupidity. Eventually someone called the law due to the sound of gun fire. The DNR showed up and found he had a fresh out of season deer kill. They took his guns for a little while.

I was outside the other morning and the backyard neighbor's chimney was making a weird crackling sound. There was a trace of smoke and heat waves so they had a fire going. I guessed it was water inside the liner that was boiling out and wished the best for them.

Another guy nearby had the squirrels in the attic thing going on. I was told that he paid a guy $1 a squirrel for as many as he could kill. I figure he would've paid 2x the cost of fixing the house and not made a dent in the squirrel population but there's no accounting for stupidity. Eventually someone called the law due to the sound of gun fire. The DNR showed up and found he had a fresh out of season deer kill. They took his guns for a little while.
round here they would take the gun away FOREVER and he wouldnt be allowed to own one again...and the kill...off to feed the zoo

Was talking with a friend last year about house fires and out where he lives outside of town there are several properties now sitting abbandonded with burned homes on them because the owners had fire places installed that were not inspected or approved for home use...which then voids any insurance that you might have had.
My Dad had to pony up an additional $800 a year for his wood stove in the basement. Yearly insurance inspections were the norm.

sad yet well earned?...maybe the lands worth something to put a new house on if sold?
Therein lies the trick.

Ownership does not transfer upon death without a will. Since his mom left no will, the house is not legally his. He can't sell it, borrow against it, anything. Rectifying that will cost thousands of dollars in legal fees--money he hasn't got. He has no equity in it. Fixing the electrical well enough for the power to be restored is probably another couple of thousand, roughly estimating.

The house is on a 50'x125' corner lot. It was built before zoning and fire codes, so it's only two or three feet from my property line. I believe the minimum now is 10' (possibly 8, possibly 12). It's backed by an alley, so there are easement restrictions on the three sides not bordering my yard. If the house is condemned and knocked down, the lot is essentially unbuildable unless someone wants to build a long(ish), skinny--20' wide, maybe--house. Nobody builds houses like that, the tiny-house people usually want to live off-grid (which is illegal in town), and mobile homes are not allowed within city limits except in designated "Tornado Target Zones" (trailer parks).

My guess? He'll squat somewhere else for awhile, intending to fix everything, but doing nothing except party. He'll stop paying taxes on it one he realizes that both legally and financially, he can do nothing with it anyhow, and it'll eventually be foreclosed by the county.

well see, getting the land/home in his name after death is actualy relitivly simple and cheep...if you have a little undertanding of the laws involved

now..as the good neighbor you are...if you were to help him get the land...and then buy the land...you could oh i dunno expand the garage, shop..parking?
being it boarders yours your the only person it would have any genuine use to

My previous place we had squirrel problems and they had got into my attic and started a brood up there, I found the hole in the eaves and patched it up inside the attic with metal wire and outside with new plywood, but there were several young squirrels still in the attic when I was done...sucked to be them!

The parents lost their minds though and became more and more aggressive as the days passed...eventually they tried to claw in through the screens on a couple windows, needless to say they didn't survive long after that. The youngsters moved around a lot for a week or so and eventually moved less and less until there was no longer any more noise from the attic. 😐

Never really had any problems after that...guess the word got around. 😄

The youngsters moved around a lot for a week or so and eventually moved less and less until there was no longer any more noise from the attic.
That reminds me of a house we lived in that had a rotted door sill so rats could get inside a wall and be trapped. You could hear them jumping inside the wall for a while trying to get out. I don't remember exactly what that wall looked like when we eventually cut it out but it had some 1960 style plastic paneling on the outside that I guess they couldn't scratch through like sheet rock. There were some long dead rats in there though.

I used to think about shotgunning the wall out of frustration, then imagined a pissed off rat running out of the hole and up my leg. So that never happened :D

well see, getting the land/home in his name after death is actualy relitivly simple and cheep...if you have a little undertanding of the laws involved

One of my sisters has nearly a decade invested working in titles, forfeitures, and foreclosures, and another decade-plus working in government. There was no will of any kind, not even a handwritten note saying who got what. With no written, legal intent that the house pass to Junior, him simply raising the issue could become a battle with the state or the county. I had a long conversation with Sis about this last night, and she assures me it will be neither easy nor inexpensive. Quite the opposite, in fact: "You're talking at least a couple thousand dollars once you add up legal, title, and court fees." I believe the fact that he has waited so long is to his detriment in this case, and it's doubtful that the bills still being in Sugar's name is helping matters.

Legally, he's a squatter.
now..as the good neighbor you are...if you were to help him get the land...and then buy the land...you could oh i dunno expand the garage, shop..parking?
being it boarders yours your the only person it would have any genuine use to
This is exactly what I was thinking, and I'm glad I talked to Sis about it. I figured, "No pot to piss in; front him the money to get the propertly legal, then offer him a couple grand for it." Wrong, wrong, R-O-N-G wrong.
"Well, why don't you just buy it from @Stretch or Pete, or your neighbors on the other side?"
"They don't own it."
"Exactly. Neither does Junior."
Game, set, and match.

She said my idea would result in paying way too much just to get a wreck, for which I'd then have to pay further for demolition and removal. 'Twas she that pointed out that the lot is immensely undesirable to anyone but me, based on her experience in zoning inspection and enforcement. She knows his house/lot well; one of her gov't duties was as a tax assessor for the city. Sis pointed out that investing ~$10K to do it that way would not increase my property value by even half that. A veritable Swiss Army knife of property law and value, my seester.

Her suggestion goes more like this: Let him flounder while keeping an eye on the taxes for delinquincy. He's got nothing to lose, since the property isn't in his name. So, he'll probably stop paying taxes before long, assuming he ever started. At some point, the city will turn the tax burden over to the county, who will foreclose against a dead woman. Junior has no legal basis on which he can contest it. The county, now in possession of an uninhabitable dwelling, will condemn and demolish the house and level the property. After that, they'll put it up for sale. Realistically only one person's going to want it. Sis said, "I'd be surprised if it costs you $2,000."

"Now, if you want to accelerate the delinquency process, you could notify the city that the owner of the house doesn't live there. Whether she's dead is immaterial--if the titled owner doesn't live in the house, they loe the property tax 'homestead' credit. The property taxes will jump almost 150% until he holds title to the property."

Was jr’s mother the property owner? Any other siblings? Usual intestate laws say upon death automatically all assets pass to the children.

hell sound slike your sis has the plan made for you

honestly in your case..or mine it wouldnt be about "end value" but useability in the NOW...i figure at the very least you could probably plop your butt a nice pole barn down on it and be a very...VERY happy bastard

Her suggestion goes more like this: Let him flounder while keeping an eye on the taxes for delinquincy. He's got nothing to lose, since the property isn't in his name. So, he'll probably stop paying taxes before long, assuming he ever started. At some point, the city will turn the tax burden over to the county, who will foreclose against a dead woman. Junior has no legal basis on which he can contest it. The county, now in possession of an uninhabitable dwelling, will condemn and demolish the house and level the property. After that, they'll put it up for sale. Realistically only one person's going to want it. Sis said, "I'd be surprised if it costs you $2,000."

"Now, if you want to accelerate the delinquency process, you could notify the city that the owner of the house doesn't live there. Whether she's dead is immaterial--if the titled owner doesn't live in the house, they loe the property tax 'homestead' credit. The property taxes will jump almost 150% until he holds title to the property."
Smart girl, your Sis.
That's what I'd be doing: waiting it out.
You're not out anything.

Was jr’s mother the property owner? Any other siblings? Usual intestate laws say upon death automatically all assets pass to the children.
She was the owner and he's an only child... but only her husband would gain ownership "automatically".

Assets do nothing automatically without a will in most of the U.S., especially in the case of property. You don't just walk into the title office with a death certificate and your ID and get rubber-stamped into ownership (unless you're a spouse, and even then it ain't free). Without a will, it has to go through the courts. Ownership of the house is subject to the decision of an administrator of estate appointed by, I believe, the probate court in this jurisdiction. This is actually the most-common form of intestate law in the U.S. (it varies by state), and while Junior's the only rightful heir, he still has to endure it. While it's still in Motherfighter's name, technically the house is owned by the State of Michigan until administered to another party via the court. The court can also dispose of the property to settle the decedent's debts, or deny transfer of the title until said debts are settled. Either way, Junior's probably going to have to lawyer up since he couldn't navigate a circle track, much less the legal system. That's money he doesn't have. Hell, he can't afford the court costs or title fees. As a bonus, Motherfighter left some outstanding medical bills.

When property changes hands here--regardless of its sale price, even $0--someone has to pay transfer fees and tax on it. The tax is based on the assessed value, the last appraised value, or the last sale price of the property to preclude selling a house for $200 to dodge taxes. The Boozefighters bought the house sight-unseen for around $36,000; the assessed value of the house was dramatically less. Since they paid cash, no appraisal was done. In most cases, the transfer ("sales") taxes simply come out of the estate. In Motherfighter's case, the house was the only asset other than a maybe-three-digit checking account (she was a compulsive gambler). There could be a couple of grand in tax due on the title transfer, should it happen, or the court may see fit to reduce or waive them. It may not, though, since Junior waited until there was a catastrophe rather than handle it upon Motherfighter's demise. Personal experience tells me the courts take a dim view of those who would circumvent the legal process: "Could you please explain to the court why you've waited until now, Mr. Boozefighter?" The court could also revoke the homestead exemption until any debts are settled and the house is titled correctly, with retroactive enforcement back to Motherfighter's last breath.

If there is a will, it's considered a gift and probate isn't necessary. If one just assumes that everything "automatically" goes to the next of kin without a will--again, other than a spouse, in most cases (in the U.S.)--said next of kin may well be in for a nasty surprise, dependent on jurisdiction. While you might escape debt when you die, your heirs don't. Loan payments, taxes, and medical bills don't magically vanish. They're part of the estate. If your estate goes to probate, ugly things can happen. Not all estate auctions are voluntary, kids.

There's a good reason I called my sister about this. Not only was it her stock in trade for many years, but she has a similar situation: A neighbor she hates has lived in his parents' house for decades with it still in his father's name. She did her due diligence on the repercussions of notifying the authorities, but ultimately decided it was unwarranted evil at this point. "It's that bad." She keeps that ace in her pocket, though. If her neighbor doesn't fix the title issue, upon his death the house goes to the Probate Court, County of Dickinson, to dispose of as they please. It's not his to bequeath, will or not. That'll be a fun surprise for the kids!

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back