Bo Diddley

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgechargerfan

In a 55 gallon drum, floating down river, and
Staff member
...is a nickname. What's his real name and where did the nickname come from? or more accurately: what does "bo diddley" mean?

My name ain't Bo and I still don't know Diddley. :huh: I have heard his real name before though...loved those commercials he did with Bo Jackson and Heavy D too! [smilie=::

Just looked it up (which disqualifies me... and hmm, interesting profile I'm reading here. :) )

His name is Ellis Bates and when he was a little boy all his elders called him "master"[smilie=a:

The nickname has something to do with the old saying, "You don't know diddley"

:huh:

Half Points to 68 R/T for getting his real name.

Go ahead and start a thread.

Now, for the meaning of the nickname......

Well since no one else is chiming in I'll throw in my cheat...yeah I looked it up on IMDB.com ...

He studied the violin for 12 years, composing two concertos for the instrument. For Christmas in 1940, his sister Lucille bought him his first guitar, a cheap Harmony acoustic. It was at this time that he acquired the nickname "Bo Diddley" (" . . . Bo Diddley is me; to tell ya the truth, I don't know what it [the name] really is . . . ") from his fellow pupils at the Foster Vocational High School in Chicago.

hmmm IMDB is wrong.. So is Bo Diddley.. ;)
But that's a pretty good answer...

Here's what I was looking for:
"Fun Fact: A one-string African guitar is called a bo diddley. That’s where bluesman Ellas Bates got his stage name."

Let's call this one done.
68 R/T and Fishy - both of you go ahead and fire up another thread with your trivia questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back