Too bad it's not a 4-speed

b-body-bob

1966 Dodge Dart GT For Sale On Clasiq Auctions.

The quarters look a little ratty around the wheel well but I'd drive it like it sits and replace that 273 with a 360 LA or Magnum.

hell i wouldnt even swap out the 273, solid lil screamers, drop on docs dreaded SP2P manifold, verify 340 cam in it and adjust the rockers, after that pop open the 904 and crank the line pressure.....at that point id likely swap out the rear gears..but hell at that point you have a VERY fun toy thats pretty easy on fuel but will RIP when prodded

those lil 273s get a bad rap for being small but they were pretty high compression with the commando heads, the sp2p keeps the runner velocity and brings the torque up ALOT..combined with a 340 cam runnin solid lifters and you get a crazy lil engine that wants to rev to the moon while sippin fuel like a 4banger

It would definitely benefit from an extra pedal, but I think I'd leave that department as-is, column shift and all. The Cragars have to go, though. I can't even say "too bad about the grille"--to me, it actually looks better with the holes cut in it. The 273 would come out and donate all its external appearance goodies to either a 340 or 360. Every penny spent on a 273 is better spent on either of the other engines. If you like to rev, the 340's much better at high RPM than a 273. If you want torque, you can't argue with an extra quarter-inch-plus of stroke essentially for free.

i mean if youve got a spare runner on the shelf why not swap, but if not...the 273s can be fun....id never put one in anything outside a light weight a-body tho

I've had Fords with 260s and Chevys with 283s too, and the smaller motors are never as good as the bigger (and later) ones no matter what the fan base says.

The little motors being earlier than the bigger ones is a reason for that - development improved the later engines. Of course size too.

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back