Rusty's not very quiet cuda progress

K looked up the tach wires, looks like I need 3 to operate, don't need the light.
what's the best place to jump in the engine bay

green neg side of distributor
red power with key on
black ground, I think that I can figure out.

Just reread again, wrote down some notes to check the "obvious" electric stuff & get that out of the way & eliminate a few options, hoping some of the issues will be cured at that point, but with my luck who knows!

For testing purposes, you can temporarily put alligator clips on the ends of the tach wires. Connect right to the battery rather than looking for 12V+ key-on and all that jazz.

Just don't forget to disconnect 'em when you're done working! It won't hurt the tach, but it will drain the battery.

Is it supposed to be a C-clip or one like on the tranny linkage?
What is it actually called?
The thing in the photo is called an e-clip but that isn't the right part. A piece of wire will work better than that. What you need is a thing that goes over the short end there and clips to the long part. Like this

1712708976663.png
NAPA should be able to fix you up. Maybe.

Looking at the photos of the Edelbrock that I posted, the lower end appears to be keyed, and in fine "we changed nothing but the name" tradition, the upper end is held in with the same wire clips Carter's used since the '60s:

s-l1600.jpg

Carburetor kits for Carters usually have about a dozen of these in 'em.

Bob, that I don't think I have any extras, almost looks like the one metal one that's on a door rod.
Jass, that's what I meant about the tranny linkage clips, not sure but with all the extra parts I bought there might be one stashed somewhere, finding it & if it's the right size will probably take more luck then I can muster, we will see!

Can I pick up the dist neg at the coil or only at the plug in from the harness?

A tachometer needs only 3 wires to operate, pos +, neg -, and a pulse wire, negative terminal of coil.

Bob, that I don't think I have any extras, almost looks like the one metal one that's on a door rod.
Jass, that's what I meant about the tranny linkage clips, not sure but with all the extra parts I bought there might be one stashed somewhere, finding it & if it's the right size will probably take more luck then I can muster, we will see!

Use one of those clips that Jass posted, either from an old rebuild kit or NAPA.

I could probably go pull the intake off the 400 and find one or two down in that heat riser space where all tiny carb parts go when you drop them.

The negative (12V-) wire is black and must connect to the battery. The trigger goes to coil (-) and may be green, white, or grey depending on who made the tach and when. Stewart-Warner has confusingly used all three over the years, but most were grey or green.

The trigger wire will not work off the distributor on electronic ignition. It must connect to coil (-).

The ones I posted are about 1/3rd the size of the ones on transmission linkage. They are tiny, like 1/4" long.

If the E-clip you showed will fit in the groove on the rod (i.e., the clip isn't thicker than the groove is wide), you'll be fine. I've used E-clips myself in the past.

OK, so don't bother looking for the tranny ones. POOP!

OK so it's an E clip., at least now I know the proper name.
The smallest one I found was a tad to big, I squeezed it down, seemed to snap on nice, but after playing with my rudimentary tune up it fell off?

Well today won't be fun, gonna try & check on some of the electric woes & get the tach hooked up, have I mentioned I HATE WIRING!

The smallest one I found was a tad to big, I squeezed it down, seemed to snap on nice, but after playing with my rudimentary tune up it fell off?
I've tried that before, right after dropping the right clip into the afore-mentioned black hole of tiny carb parts. I found that when you squeeze that clip it warps it so it doesn't fit into a groove any more.

It's much easier to install a slightly-too-small E-clip than it is to make one that's too large fit. Also, if an E-clip is thicker than the receiver groove, you're just spitting windward. It'll usually cock to one side and fly off in short order if you manage to get it to stay at all.

My wire is holding nicely!

Actually quit early, hate to waste a nice day but I had enough poking around for one day.

I did the beep test on the trans switch first. no beep, crapola now I think I have to drain the tranny to change that.

I got the tach hooked up & I think I at least have a base to work from.
She started with just a little throttle, but was kinda rough cold.
Choke seems to take forever to open, If I did it with my finger she sped up & smoothed out?

Idling around 1000, when I brought it up to 1900 that seemed way fast for fast idle, if I had a clutch to pop shed burn out!

After it was warm I rechecked the timing, I'm holding around the 10BTDC, vac still around 10. if I rev it a bit it jumps up at 2000 she's 15-17.

at that point I checked the tranny fluid, put it in neutral, she was a bit low now that it flowed around in there. still might be a touch low but it's in the safe area.

So I thought this might be a good time to see if the wheels spin without any horrendous noises!

forward, hmmmm seems ok, reverse no outrageous clunks for some reason I went out to look at them & wandered behind the car, Well damn I had back up lights, a little later with the car off but lights on I think they were on again in reverse, well thank you God I really didn't want to change that switch.
on to the turn signals, don't know if it's correct but they only work with the car running, still had no blink on passenger side, changed the rear bulb & they finally worked.

I tightened the piss out of that carb fitting, don't know what the torque is but it was all the leverage I could get, I think I finally got it!

While under there I found 2 tiny leaks one flare at the rad. trans cooler line & one at the oil drain plug, snugged those down, gotta go back under & double check the ones at the tranny.

Went inside a bit, still no dash lights or horn, did the beep test on all the fuses all good, pulled the one for the dash lights (cavity 5 acc. to the book) & wire brushed the spades, still nothing?

I messed with the mixture screws some didn't seem to do much?

What actually got accomplished today, well not a lot.
Think outside lights are all now working I guess that's something beside that bulb I really didn't do anything & 2 baby leaks fixed well woop di doo!

There is a bit of good news, was setting up the headliner guy & the way he was talking it was gonna be a long wait, then he says friday, get me in between 2 big jobs, checked weather & looked like rain so he said he'd come saturday, be here at 8, guess I'll have to get my lazy butt up early!

so besides the lights & radio, interior can be finished.

He's gonna take a look at the hocky stripes to see if he will work with me on those?

Classic air got back to me, I now have basic instructions for the kit & another small missing piece on the way, what I did not see were compressor bracket install instructions, there's a note on these to look at those, so I will ask for that now.
I still say the spirits in this car are not friendly at all, nothing goes smooth!

I did the beep test on the trans switch first. no beep, crapola now I think I have to drain the tranny to change that.
While it no longer matters since they're working now, it's worth noting that there's no reason to drain the transmission if the switch is bad. It's well above the pan. You'll lose some fluid but not a ton, especially if you work quickly.

Idling around 1000, when I brought it up to 1900 that seemed way fast for fast idle, if I had a clutch to pop shed burn out!
Idle should be set at 850RPM at hot idle. 1,000RPM is too high; she'll give a mighty lurch when you put 'er in gear. Regardless, you can't do any tuning until you fix the idle RPM. If backing the screw out causes it to stall, find out why.

Fast idle is only in effect when the choke is closed, i.e. the engine is cold. Its function is to get the engine up to temp more quickly. 1,900RPM is the factory specification. Generally speaking, nobody moves the car until the fast idle has come down a bit as the choke opens, i.e. running for 15-30 seconds, give it a quick throttle blip, and the fast idle comes down. Fast idle should never come into play on a warm engine.

After it was warm I rechecked the timing, I'm holding around the 10BTDC, vac still around 10. if I rev it a bit it jumps up at 2000 she's 15-17.
Vacuum at RPM means nothing, since it will always increase with RPM under partial throttle. You only care about it at idle once that's set (850RPM). I'd expect to see more vacuum at 850RPM than you're seeing at 1,000. Is the needle steady or is it shaky/jittery? If so, there's probably a vacuum leak.

on to the turn signals, don't know if it's correct but they only work with the car running, still had no blink on passenger side, changed the rear bulb & they finally worked.
The turn signals should work with the ignition key in "RUN" regardless of whether the engine itself is actually running. They do not work with the key off, but the hazards do.

I messed with the mixture screws some didn't seem to do much?
If you didn't have an idle of 850RPM, why would you touch them? The directions I posted were pretty specific. None of it works if you try "close enough" or you can't get results "so I'll just move on to the next thing." Until you have the first step done as instructed, you can't do the second or any other. If the engine's not idling, you can't mess with idle mixture, period. If you can't get it to idle at 850, find out what's wrong. Here's a hint: It's not the idle mixture. You've already entered tail-chasing territory. Start over with the idle speed screws, both hot and cold/fast, and the idle mixture screws 1/2 turn from seated. If you can't get it to idle at 850RPM with the engine fully up to temperature, leave the carburetor alone and find out why it won't idle--even badly--at the factory-specified RPM.

Along with a jittery vacuum reading, ineffective idle mixture screws are a strong indication of a vacuum leak, as is an inability to set curb idle. If you're on the carb's main circuit--i.e. your idle is set too high, which it is--the mixture screws will have little to no effect since the throttle plates are open enough to bypass the idle circuit entirely.

If I had to guess, I'd bet you've got a vacuum leak between the intake and head.

I was able to get the idle down with the timing at around that10 mark, missed that in my post.
Vacuum leak, damn I had that on the other car, and thought I learned from that I had spread the sealer a little on all the gaskets not knowing it was mainly for the corners!
Thought I was very careful to get them this time, silicone worked on that I'll try a bead on this & see if it helps, my vac gauge is not steady.

Now that I changed that bulb I'll try the blinkers again with key on run, but not started?

gonna try & hunt down the dash grounds if the weather holds, that whole dash should be grounded just by bolting it in if I'm correct, fire wall is, maybe the fact that everything was painted, even the bolts is my problem?
That would make it easy, I doubt I'll get that lucky?

I think the dash is well grounded, I brought a neg. from the battery in & got continuity to about every screw that attaches stuff to the frame of the dash. trim, speaker covers, so on.
I looked around under there, found a couple of connectors that look like accessory plugs, mostly empty & did get some odd (searching) voltage readings, this stuff is all DC correct?
stuck in a dome light bulb, that works.
So I pulled the light bar, easiest thing to get to it did have one bad bulb, changed that still nothing.
gonna have to pull the seat to really get under, the ole body just doesn't contort like that any more so I couldn't reach the light dimmer switch to see if I had power in at least.
Then it started to rain, so I packed up , nothing accomplished!
I did try the turn sibnals again, they did not work with key in run engine off?
I do have a sick sounding horn, pulled the relay & was cleaning the fuse box mount & must have shorted it, got a beep, then I was cleaning the connector up to the column got another beep, so I pulled the horn cover off the wheel & got a beep at the top, tried to clean all the way around the contacts , beeping away as I cleaned, put the button back on & have it with some pretty hard pressing, need more cleaning between there.
I think it's only one horn working, pretty wimpy horn, almost like the city horn I had on my N.Y. new 74 cuda.20240411_152102.jpg20240411_152147.jpg

Oh yea, started to wiggle my key release lever to see if that did anything, the spring back stopped working & this fell out on the floor??? 20240411_143456.jpg
looks like some kind of cover/insulator.
Could that broken lever have anything to do with the light issue?

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back