Milodon 13600 timing gears for LA/early Hemi

Dr.Jass

Pastor of Muppets
Straight outta my W2 engine, I have a set of Milodon timing gears for LA and early Hemi engines, part number 13600. I don't know if they'll work on so-called Magnum engines, because frankly I can't be bothered to look. Seriously, who cares? This is a brilliantly-engineered setup, with a vernier gear-to-hub bolt pattern allowing a ton of different advance/retard options. The hub rides on a Torrington bearing so there's no metal-to-metal cam thrust. They're absolutely the best gear-to-gear timing option extant for LA engines, and the new price* reflects that.

These were in the engine when I got them, so I can't speak to history before my ownership, but they've never seen full throttle on my watch (the engine never went over five grand before I pulled them). I believe a previous owner had a bearing failure as there's a scratch in the idler plate that was made by the cam gear at some point... it was there when I got it. I installed a new Torrington bearing and shims and replaced some of the vernier bolts, and have a few spare of the latter. They're expensive from Milodon--around $40 for a set of 7--and they're easily damaged. Spares are good; you get whatever I've got which includes all the necessary, original Milodon hardware and shims. There is very little wear on the gear teeth, which leads me to believe they don't have a ton of run time on them. I've got maybe five hours on 'em, none of it on the street or strip.

These are not for the faint of heart. They're tweaky to set up, both for installing the idler-gear plate to the block for proper backlash and installing the cam gear. There are no alignment dots for "straight up", meaning you absolutely must degree your camshaft. If you run a mechanical pump you'll need to shorten the eccentric by 1/4" or it won't clear the timing cover. These are gears, so they're noisy... you either love that sound or hate it. I fall into the latter category, which is the only reason I took them out. It was a tough decision after all the time spent getting my camshaft set up perfectly. They work perfectly, I simply tired of the constant noise. Don't kid yourself, they're loud. Pete Jackson be like, "Da-a-a-a-a-amn!" But your cam timing will be rock solid.

[SOLD] to the contiguous 48, but I will consider reasonable offers. They're well over twice that new, so $100 is not a reasonable offer. AK, HI and Canuckistan inquire aboot shipping. These are racing parts; don't fool yourself about things like a warranty or possible returns.

* The link says "Noisy: No". The link is a filthy liar; if these are "quiet", then loud ones must be audible from space.

100_3836.JPG

Last edited:

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back