1967-70 Carter BBS choke pull-off link

Dr.Jass

Pastor of Muppets
I deleted the thread looking for an entire carb, but if you've got one I'll still consider it. It can be frozen, broken, hell molten for all I care if the one piece I need is good.

After much research and comparison, the carburetor on my 1968 170 is almost entirely intact despite the homegrown manual-choke conversion. The automatic choke will work if I install the choke pull-off and divorced thermostat. I've found those parts, but what's missing--and the only thing that's missing--is the link that connects the pull-off diaphragm to the rest of the choke mechanism. This was not serviced individually by Chrysler in 1968 and I've no vintage Carter catalogs, but the 1969 Mopar part number I believe is 3481219 (ROD, choke diaphragm connector). It should be the same for the 170- and 198-cube Slant Sixes from 1967-'70. It's probably the same as the one on the BBS used on 225-inch trucks in the same years. Holley 1920 (used on cars w/225) and Carter BBD parts will not work.

The part number changed in 1971 so I'll assume that won't work; prior to '67 the choke arrangement was different so again no go.

knowing how hard this is likely to find..have you considered just making the rod?...i know i could get SS rod from my local hobby shop for a buck...at this point it might be easier to make one than find one

I'd considered that, but it's got very specific bends that I have no way to duplicate. Also, due to its orientation in the carb it can't be retained with a clip. It has a specific keyed end that goes through a double-keyhole slot in the pull-off. Near as I can tell, there's no way to get a clip on there once it's installed on the carb.

ooof yeah i know that carter pinch key shape..i cant help but think theres gotta be something that could be lightly modified to work....maybe even off a 525 or 625...like one of the real early carter 4brls

SiteLock

SiteLock
Back